Woods Hole Recipes
This is only the beginning of many recipes. If you have a fond memory of a recipe during your stay, please email us and I will be sure to include it. Thank you and Enjoy.
Neville’s Mama’s Bread Yields 2 Loaves
This is the bread that we serve at every meal. It has become a daily favorite! It satiates the appetite, warms the home, and purely & simply fills the belly with shear goodness. It’s one of the simplest ways to make bread. Simple ingredients, easy directions.. make for good bread. From there, get creative, add spices, add textures, add anything you want to make this bread your own.
P.S. – Skip the bread machine…It’s all about kneading in the love by hand!
4 cups flour
2 cups luke warm water
2 tsp yeast
2 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil.
*First Dry mix the Flour, Salt, and Yeast. There is no need to Activate the Yeast with water and sugar.. unless you want to. If you do, add less water in the next Step.
1. Knead Flour, Water, Yeast, & Salt. As the bread merges into a nice doughy consistency.. not too wet and not too dry.. something like Bubble Gum or Pizza Dough
2. Add the vegetable oil. Knead the vegetable oil loosely into the dough, leaving the oil to cover the dough.
* I don’t spend all day kneading.. I simply get my ingredients combined.. knead for a nice doughy consistency and let the dough Rise. It is best to knead more than less, to ensure a good activation of the yeast.
3. Let the dough sit for 4 hours or until the dough has doubled. You can make the dough before you go to work and arrive home to bake the bread.. or before you go to bed. The dough will be a bit more sour, but still mmm..mmm… good.
4. After the dough has risen, shape the dough into two loaves. I keep it simple. I grease my pan. Pull off half a hunk of dough, pull it out to the shape of a long loaf and set on a greased cookie pan.
5. Let Rise for 20-30 more minutes. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees
6. Bake the loaves for 20 minutes or until hollow sounding when tapped on the bottom
7. YUMMY. Enjoy fresh warm bread
You can also use this dough for a pizza base and cinnamon roll base
Aioli (or the Green Stuff) Yields 1 quart
Parsely (about 4 cups)
6-8 cloves of garlic.. more if they are small
3/4-1 tsp salt
Chop the Parsley thoroughly. Crush the garlic, add the salt. Cover the Parsley, garlic, and salt with olive oil. Serve. MM..mmm. This recipe is even better the next day.
For storing.. you can store on the kitchen counter if it gets used up in a matter of 2-3 days.. or in the fridge, if you want it to last a while. Set in a warm bath of water to liquify the olive oil.. as it will solidify in the fridge..
*Aioli is great on bread, as a pizza topping, on rice, on meat, on anything.. ENJOY.
Sesame Tahini Vinaigrette Yields 1 quart
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Tahini
1/2 cup Sesami Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
Michael likes to add fresh squeezed orange, fresh garlic, or other catchy spices to enhance the flavor.
He also likes to use a version of this dressing as a marinade…
Dry Ingredient Mix
*you can make this in advance and store like a seasoning.. I store mine in a mason jar and it keeps on the shelf for several months
Small Dry Mix Large Dry Mix
1 cup Parsley or 3 cups
2 Tbsp Salt or 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp
4 Tbsp Onion Powder or 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder or 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp
2 Tbsp Dill Weed or 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp
- 3 Heaping Tablespoons of Dry “Mix”
- 1 cup of Mayonnaise
- 1 cup of Buttermilk (or Milk)
- 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar,
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce (I always say “dollop”.. so teaspoon is not exact).
*If you serve this on the evening you make it .. it will be thin.. it takes overnight for the recipe to thicken.. much thanks to the vinegar 🙂
Pork Chop/Chicken Marinade 6 Servings/chops
1 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Sesami Oil
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange or frozen concentrate orange juice
5 cloves of garlic
*Let marinade for an hour or so. When serving, use the marinade on a rice on the side.. mmm..
Hashbrowns Yield 1/2 potato per person unless they are really big or small potatoes.
Vegetable oil or Lard
Grated Cheese and Chives
1. Grate Potatoes the night before or several hours before, cover with water, and refrigerate.
2. Grease Cookie Sheet. Spread Drained Grated potatoes evenly across pan. The thicker the layer of potatoes the longer time needed to cook and crisp bottom.
3. Dollop grease on potatoes. Cover Potatoes with Tin foil or pan lid, to keep steam inside
4. Bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes. If you are cooking for 1-2 you may need less time.
5. After 45 min, remove lid, this will help crispen the potatoes on bottom.
6. Add the cheese and chopped chives once the lid is removed.
7. Bake for 15 more minutes.. or until desired crispness is reached..
8. Enjoy right away. Potatoes don’t stay warm long, once out of the oven.
Creme Brulee French Toast 8 Servings
One loaf of Neville’s Mama’s Bread (see above)
1 1/2 cups Buttermilk and Milk (you can use just milk or half and half)
5 large Eggs
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 cup Raw Sugar, 1 stick Butter, 1 tsp Cinnamon (optional)
1. Grease Pan
2. Melt Butter, Add Sugar and Salt and Optional Cinnamon
3. Pour into Pan.
4. Slice enough Bread to cover 9×13 pan. Laying Flat, Side by Side.
Stuff the spaces/holes with extra bread
5. Crack and whip eggs. Pour egg and buttermilk batter over bread and
melted butter & sugar.
Yes. It will look like a lot of liquid.. but it will soak into the bread
6. Cover and Soak in the fridge over night
7. Pull from the fridge 30 min-1 hour prior to baking so that it returns to room
8. Pre-heat oven to 350. Bake 350-45 minutes or until eggs/buttermilk are
cooked. If needed turn the oven up to 400.
Peach Crisp 10 Servings
3 cups Oats 1 cup Raw Sugar
1 cup ground Flax, 1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup ground Sunflower Seeds 1 cup Vegetable oil
1 cup ground Oats
5 cups of Fresh Peaches (we use our own canned peaches.. but i recommend fresh 🙂
1 cup Raw Sugar for Peaches (if not using canned)
- Pre Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Dry Mix the Dry Ingredients. Use a Coffee grinder to Grind the Flax, Sunflower Seeds, and Oats
- Add Vegetable oil. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly covered.
- Grease a 9×13 pan. Pour in Fresh Peaches and cover with sugar.
- Pour Oat Mix over Peaches and Cover with aluminum foil or lid
- Bake Peach Crisp for 35 minutes. Uncover for 15 minutes. Careful not to burn the crisp. Your oven may be hotter than mine..